Welcome back to day 2 of beginning our journey to simplify our lives.
Yesterday your homework was: to take a deep breath and repeat after me…I can and WILL simplify my life and I WILL begin today!
How many of you actually did this? If you did, I’d love to hear about it and if you haven’t yet, don’t worry, you can begin today!
How much of your time does your thoughts consume you?
Some of my usual thoughts:
- Thoughts about what you need to accomplish for the day
- Thoughts about what you’d really rather be doing instead of work
- Thoughts about what it would be like if you won the lottery
- Thoughts about vacationing somewhere tropical
- Thoughts about money
- Thoughts about your health
- Thoughts about how you really should be walking on the treadmill instead of reaching for a candy bar
- Thoughts about the stress that is consuming you
- Thoughts that express day dreams of how you wish your life would be
So many thoughts consume us day in and day out. If you are like me, these thoughts are present when you are in the shower, driving to or from work, during your lunch break, when someone is trying to talk to you but you just aren’t able to focus on anything other than your own thoughts.
Well, I have finally decided that today is the day I start taking control of all these thoughts and areas I’d like to see improve in my life and I challenge you to do the same.
The first thing I did this morning while taking my shower was think about all the areas in my life I want to grab a hold of and simplify to make it much more pleasant.
The second thing I did was write them down in my planner in the notes section.
Here is my list:
- Time Management
After looking at the words on my paper, I said to myself now what? I have this list what will I do with it? I decided that today, all I am going to do with it is just think about these words and what they mean to me. Really define what each area is that needs to be simplified. Don’t worry or think about what your plans are to get there, just think about how these areas are affecting your day to day attitude and life.
After you write out your list, treat yourself to something that makes you happy. If you have to buy something, keep it at $5 or less, don’t go overboard, just something small that brightens your mood. For me today, it was hot cocoa and a muffin from Panera for breakfast. Just that small gesture to myself as well as writing out my list lifted my spirits and set me off in the right direction.
I am a firm believer that it’s easy to deny, deny, deny, and continue your life in a path of destruction. Taking ownership of your life, and the areas where you struggle will greatly improve your life overall and it doesn’t have to be difficult to do. Take one day at a time, one step at a time and soon you’ll realize just how wonderful your life truly can be if you just take the time to look.
Your homework for today has two parts:
- Make your list of the area’s in which you are currently struggling with in your life. The list doesn’t have to be in any particular order, just write down as it comes to you what stands out to you as needing something changed no matter how big or how small.
- Treat yourself to something that makes you happy. If you have to purchase something keep it under $5 (this is very important to follow this amount which you’ll know later on as we continue this process together). If you aren’t going anywhere today, look around your house, is your favorite drink or candy there? If so, it’s ok for you to splurge a little today because I’m telling you, once you do something for yourself that’s simple, you’ll see an improvement in your attitude immediately!
You are valuable, you are important, you are amazing, you are worth it, and for once, you can do it! Simplifying your life begins now, so pick up your pen and paper and get started.
If you’d like to share your lists, you can do so in the comment section of this post or you can take a photo of your list and/or your treat on Instagram and add #simplifiedshonda to the photo.